South Bz values

Lately I have become interested in the Bz values, probably since it has been dropping south at -10 the past few hours and that has initiated a moderate warning !

I am totally unschooled on this, can anyone explain what that means and if it is actually interesting ?!

TIA !

Posted (edited)

As far as i have understood it, the Bz indicates the orientation of the solar interplanetary magnetic field along the vertical z-axis (commonly up/down in a karthesian coord, if thats its name in english, sorry if its not.) It going south means that it is not aligned with the earths magnetic field, which is northwards oriented, so its absolutely a good thing, since contrary magnetic fields are likely to interact more intensely with each other and thus might favour aurora activities for example. 

Alas, i am also new to this whole thing, so if i said something wrong or misleading, someone please correct me 😅

Edited by JaiGalaar

Welp, the IMF Bz just happens to be one of the important components for a geomagnetic storm. For a geomagnetic storm you would want a strong negative IMF Bz component that doesn't jump around, high solar wind density, and high solar wind velocities.

The current Bz value is decent, along with the solar wind density and velocity. The density is a little different between satellites, ACE tends to be lower while DSCOVR is higher.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

image.png.740a5a9e01243f7ebba5c3f9000c78cc.png
I wonder, why it's 500 n.T?

Those are magnetometers on Earth. Not satellite around L1.

Though for geomagnetic activity, it is about fluctuations in the magnetometer data.

And as far as BZ goes with regard to K values the lower the better.  Seems ironic, but as you learn more you will learn to watch your local magnetometer readings before running amok like I used to do.  Haha. 

• Like 1