AR 3698

Go to solution Solved by Ingolf,

Posted (edited)

This region appears quite active and seems to be growing rapidly at present and probably will be designated BG soon if not BGD.   Currently North 22 deg. East 30. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Latitude and current longitude

• Solution
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

This region appears quite active and seems to be growing rapidly at present and probably will be designated BG soon if not BGD.  

Thanks for this info, I was too much focussed on 3697. You mean the two sunspots in the middle of the region, right? For me it's already a delta. 👍

Edited by Ingolf
Fingertrouble
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It just popped up Northern Hemisphere. Funny too as I was lamenting the failure of a few regions to return and had been concentrating on the east limb and this mess popped up behind 3691. Finger trouble plagues me too!! 🤣Edit:  within the last hour I can see the tiny spots growing and the two polarities have spots in adjacent lines.  If this region keeps this up fireworks are practically guaranteed. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update
  • Like 1

Lots of changes in the past 24 hours this side of the sun.

3697 has a new Delta forming

*3698 popping into existence rapidly

Center Disc region (likely 3689) also popping up rapidly

38 minutes ago, Sean Wilkinson said:

Hey first post here, I can see when I go onto the flare probabilities, that it says, C, M and X flares which I understand, but what is meant by "proton 5%"? If someone could enlighten me please :)

Protons are known as particle events and typically are directed to our respective magnetic poles.  You may see the edges of the displays turn red during these events which happen a few times each solar cycle. Not all CMEs produce these but some do.  That’s a brief summary. @Sean Wilkinson  welcome from another member.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Protons are known as particle events and typically are directed to our respective magnetic poles.  You may see the edges of the displays turn red during these events which happen a few times each solar cycle. Not all CMEs produce these but some do.  That’s a brief summary. @Sean Wilkinson  welcome from another member.  

Thanks, I've been tracking with space weather pretty consistently since around mid april and always wondered what that meant :) 

In relation to 6998 though, is this region looking promising, lots of activity and movement happening in a short time?

Very promising imo Sean.  Rapid growth and polarities in close proximity typically means increasing likelihood of flaring and possible CMEs directed towards us and solar storms which is mainly our mutual love. Haha. Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Wilkinson said:

Wicked! Deeply hoping that they will provide more lights again in the middle / low latitudes like a few weeks ago so I can see them again from the UK.

Agree. Btw if this region fails to deliver @mozy spotted a huge filament about to be slung hopefully in our direction. Or better yet, the filament gets a push from a huge cme and both arrive together like our “ sandwich” May10-11. 😎

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Ingolf said:

Seems the delta is gone, isn't it? @hamateur 1953

Edit: almost gone 

I never really caught the delta tbh only the growth and intermixing. Wasn’t certain of the delta. 

It and other surface activity have pushed sfi up six points to 180 already at 17:00 utc so this noon we may be at 185 sfi with luck. A bit early but that’s ok too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barbean said:

I think there is a new unnumbered sunspot in the very centre of earth facing sun. Anyone else notice?

Yes. And not the smallest. 👍 Looks strong. 

• Like 1

On 3698 the blues have now formed an “ arrow” looking at HMI and it sure looks hot as far as a potential delta to the left of the point. The two polarities are nearly merged imo 

27 minutes ago, Barbean said:

I think there is a new unnumbered sunspot in the very centre of earth facing sun. Anyone else notice?

Good catch and hot in 131 group popping up at very low North latitude probably 05 or less. All I did was get coffee!! 

Posted (edited)
Just now, MinYoongi said:

The big one? Or a small one? Does that mean CME? 😎

Small one within that region

Edited by mozy