PEA's Inlfuencing Noon 10.7cm Flux

Parabolic
Go to solution Solved by hamateur 1953,

Posted (edited)

While switching back and forth from SDO and 10.7cm Radio Flux measurements I thought about the process of Post Eruption Arcade loops producing tons of hard and soft x-ray emissions. Then the question popped into my head, could PEA's potentially give a false Noon 10.7cm Radio Flux measurement?

Edited by Parabolic
Bad grandma

Good question @ParabolicNRC monitors a 100mhz slice where 10.7 is relayed three times daily worldwide.  Typically they use local noon as the official day 10.7.   I have also noted cases where I thought NRC should have reported higher readings than it did, like the week we were at or above M class net flux for over 24 hours, yet 10.7 seemed not to budge.  

• Like 1

• Solution

I’ve since given this a lot if thought and it appears to me to be a case of how much X radiation is within the bandwidth of the 100 mhz slice at the intervals they are sampled.  Three times I know of NRC has been “ fooled” as it were by these events. However because they typically only alter the field for less than three hours or so, it isn’t a big deal really. And us Hams love the extra flux especially when it doesn’t destroy HF communications entirely. 

• Like 1

I have tried to find a video that @KW2P posted awhile back with accompanying music even. I couldn’t remember the title other than it was a NASA production.  I have noted a direct effect on SFI last year when these arches were on the west limb in one instance. I don’t think it was smack on the 20:00 hr NRC typically uses though.  Mike. 

• Like 1