A little bit about our hobby for the general public

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Our licensed hobby has been around for as long as I can recall.

It is something I was awestruck and amazed when seeing a friend simply listening to high speed morse code being sent and understood!!  Kinda like he was a spy ( wasn’t haha ). I just love a challenge and decided I wanted to at least try to do that.  Some of us ( not me) still use it as it is a very efficient mode of communication over long distances. FT-8 is very good digital mode used these days and was developed by Joe Taylor another ham who developed it with collaborative effort, then distributed it freely to us. Other Hams developed the first Amateur Radio satellite OSCAR.   Orbiting Satellite Carrying Amateur Radio.  Everyone LOVES cute acronyms!  We are no different. I still get a kick out of it and heck, I am ancient.  73. ( best regards). Mike N7ORL   Oh yeah. We still talk with each other too, no kidding.  Voice mode is SSB or FM on certain frequencies throughout our respective allocations. 

Thanks for posting, this kicks me right back into my youth. I learned a profession that is translated like: electronic for communication specialized in radio communication. Good old HF stuff. We build HF superhet receiver from scratch as a project. I can still remember when I received Charles R. from North Carolina with an clear radio 5. I wrote down his callsign and looked up his address in the call book. I sent a letter to him, QSL was at this time not possible for me. I changed some German Mark into US dollar and sent it with the letter. Couple month later I got mail with some photos and and a very nice letter. Even the 5 Dollar, he sent back. This was my first DX and an unforgettable memory. After that I had a very nice Tx/Rx, the Yaesu FT 7B. You should know this jewel 😊 and some self made radios. Just worked as SWL

Thanks for your post, now I smile all over my face and I'm right now back in the 90s 👍 

Edited by Ingolf
Repairing auto correction failures of my not so smartphone
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Thanks for posting, this kicks me right back into my youth. I learned a profession that is translated like: electronic for communication specialized in radio communication. Good old HF stuff. We build HF superhet receiver from scratch as a project. I can still remember when I received Charles R. from North Carolina with an clear radio 5. I wrote down his callsign and looked up his address in the call book. I sent a letter to him, QSL was at this time not possible for me. I changed some German Mark into US dollar and sent it with the letter. Couple month later I got mail with some photos and and a very nice letter. Even the 5 Dollar, he sent back. This was my first DX and an unforgettable memory. After that I had a very nice Tx/Rx, the Yaesu FT 7B. You should know this jewel 😊 and some self made radios. Just worked as SWL

Thanks for your post, now I smile all over my face and I'm right now back in the 90s 👍 

Doggone it. Loved your post!! Outta you know what!   Haha. Catcha later!  Mike 

• Like 2

I got into this part of the hobby, when listening on 50  & 144 MHZ  when an Aurora was present, hearing the AU reflected CW or SSB signals with the" raspy" tone  of signals that got reflected back to m,y station.  I have operated on VHF  for many years, and when there was an Radio  Aurora present, adding my signal to the event, by pointing my beam to the North, then peaking  with the beam the strongest signal. I'm not interested in seeing an Aurora, just "bouncing" my  signal, reflected  back from the Auroral curtain. I use CW because SSB signals get "so phase distorted" they are hard to understand, FM or AM signals,  are unworkable, due to the phase distortion .

On the May 10th event, on 144 MHZ, between 2130Z -2320Z  i was able to work 20 stns from Western CO, to PA on the East, also to point the beam straight East & work stations to the South in Texas because the Aurora was a more Southerly Aurora . By experience over many Auroras in the past, I have  learned where to point my beam, for strongest return, of signals  Over the years, I have been able to work stations as far East as CT, NY or Ontario or West to NV, AZ, WY.

You can pull up on Facebook, a site from an Amateur  Station in England, that has a tape of how CW & SSB signals being reflected by the Auroral Curtain sound, due to the unstableness  caused by the phase distortion  .

• Like 2

On 17.05.2024 at 13:40, hamateur 1953 said:

Черт возьми. Мне понравился ваш пост!! Сами знаете что! Хаха. Поймаю позже! Майк

It seems to me that this is called friendship? Isn't that so, dear friends? And it is a very wonderful feeling when you can find common interests, common points of contact and enjoy communication. I am very inspired by your communication. 

Good luck and good mood to all (while our Sun is still dozing, resting before the new fireworks).🙏😊

3 hours ago, Glow Coat said:

I got into this part of the hobby, when listening on 50  & 144 MHZ  when an Aurora was present, hearing the AU reflected CW or SSB signals with the" raspy" tone  of signals that got reflected back to m,y station.  I have operated on VHF  for many years, and when there was an Radio  Aurora present, adding my signal to the event, by pointing my beam to the North, then peaking  with the beam the strongest signal. I'm not interested in seeing an Aurora, just "bouncing" my  signal, reflected  back from the Auroral curtain. I use CW because SSB signals get "so phase distorted" they are hard to understand, FM or AM signals,  are unworkable, due to the phase distortion .

On the May 10th event, on 144 MHZ, between 2130Z -2320Z  i was able to work 20 stns from Western CO, to PA on the East, also to point the beam straight East & work stations to the South in Texas because the Aurora was a more Southerly Aurora . By experience over many Auroras in the past, I have  learned where to point my beam, for strongest return, of signals  Over the years, I have been able to work stations as far East as CT, NY or Ontario or West to NV, AZ, WY.

You can pull up on Facebook, a site from an Amateur  Station in England, that has a tape of how CW & SSB signals being reflected by the Auroral Curtain sound, due to the unstableness  caused by the phase distortion  .

How I came up with my name-Glow Coat? Years ago I remember a Johnson Wax item, was called" Johnson Glow Coat Wax", that jingle stayed with me. My first call was Wn5WAX in 1952, so I was a "Glow Coat" Kid, my current call is K5SW here in Oklahoma, some friends gave me a Nickname of "WAXIE". My Uncle was W5ALI in 1930, so I am a 2nd generation  Ham.  Love CW & older gear

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

On 5/18/2024 at 7:24 AM, Glow Coat said:

How I came up with my name-Glow Coat? Years ago I remember a Johnson Wax item, was called" Johnson Glow Coat Wax", that jingle stayed with me. My first call was Wn5WAX in 1952, so I was a "Glow Coat" Kid, my current call is K5SW here in Oklahoma, some friends gave me a Nickname of "WAXIE". My Uncle was W5ALI in 1930, so I am a 2nd generation  Ham.  Love CW & older gear

Funny story.  I received my second callsign N7ORL which fit me as a bigmouth so well I decided to keep it through ADV and Extra class.  Plus I’d bought a mess of QSL cards already. Haha.  Mike. 

• Like 1