AR3685

27 minutes ago, mozy said:

Currently it looks really boring not gonna lie, I don't see anything fun going on in there

Do you think the M/X Activity has made this region decay? (or it decayed after)

I think what people tend to forget with regions like 3664, that often times regions do not keep spitting out big flares back to back and *usually* often lose some complexion while doing so.

(in regards to OP's expectations)

We dont know how old this one is, could be on the downswing - could be on the up!

I'm hoping that X from the other day was just a precursor to an active spot and not a death rattle.

Obligatory: I know nothing about anything here so...

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, mozy said:

Currently it looks really boring not gonna lie, I don't see anything fun going on in there

I will defer to @mozy on this one. Best we can hope for is a regeneration soon.  Boo hoo.  I might only add that the Limb of Hope is still quite active in most wavelengths Southern Hemisphere…..

Edited by hamateur 1953
LOH
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mozy said:

You're hungry. 🍔 You only recognize >X10 anymore.:P

2 minutes ago, Wolf star said:

You're hungry. 🍔 You only recognize >X10 anymore.:P

This barely looks M-flare capable 🤪

18 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think the M/X Activity has made this region decay? (or it decayed after)

I think what people tend to forget with regions like 3664, that often times regions do not keep spitting out big flares back to back and *usually* often lose some complexion while doing so.

(in regards to OP's expectations)

No idea

• Haha 1

I haven't even seen that they numbered the region but I'm probably blind.

Too much foreshortening to say anything about the magnetic complexity yet. It might look like the spots are close but they might not be. Way too early.

As of now it seems to have quiet down a bit but that doesn't mean that much either.

Waiting game is on.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Too much foreshortening to say anything about the magnetic complexity yet. It might look like the spots are close but they might not be. Way too early.

As of now it seems to have quiet down a bit but that doesn't mean that much either.

Waiting game is on.

Agreed @arjemma  swpc hasn’t tagged it. However Solar Ham has it as the last X class presently. This was all I was able to locate, although I haven’t checked latest synoptic map either. It may be there. 

Latest synoptic has next region as 3684 and no snakes I could see either @arjemma  safe to checkitout. Mike   Explanation. We both saw a snake with booties in a synoptic map last year.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Snakes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Waiting game is on.

This is where I ate it up.

image.jpeg.c374cff2c538eae8522087e6e3d5ee30.jpeg

Edited by Wolf star
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Agreed @arjemma  swpc hasn’t tagged it. However Solar Ham has it as the last X class presently. This was all I was able to locate, although I haven’t checked latest synoptic map either. It may be there. 

Latest synoptic has next region as 3684 and no snakes I could see either @arjemma  safe to checkitout. Mike   Explanation. We both saw a snake with booties in a synoptic map last year.  

That snake with the boots/socks were iconic. Here's a link for those wondering what me and Mike are talking about: 

🐍 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arjemma said:

That snake with the boots/socks were iconic. Here's a link for those wondering what me and Mike are talking about: 

🐍 

And…. I’m laughing again. Outta reactions.   🤣🤣🤣Was laughing for a loooong time. Got one back. Haha

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Haha 1

Two maybe three days ago I saw a sunspot represented on the far side image that was rather large and I remember thinking that it would be coming around the limb pretty soon. Then it disappeared. I expect that this region is what I saw and I’m wondering if the far side image is not accurate right  on the limb? And that’s why it disappeared?

28 minutes ago, WhereingtonEvent said:

Two maybe three days ago I saw a sunspot represented on the far side image that was rather large and I remember thinking that it would be coming around the limb pretty soon. Then it disappeared. I expect that this region is what I saw and I’m wondering if the far side image is not accurate right  on the limb? And that’s why it disappeared?

The far side map is only a calculation and estimate from a number of different parameters. It changes rather fast sometimes depending on how much the parameters changes. Which far side map did you look at? GONG or JSOC? The one at SWL is GONG and SolarHam for example uses JSOC.

So to answer your question, the far side image is not accurate. It gives a rough estimate on what might be going on at the far side but it has a lot of flaws. I have forgotten all of the parameters that is used but I know I have the PDF papers bookmarked somewhere.

It could have been this region that was represented but I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been so quiet since the last x class I really need to stop holding my breath or I'm gonna run into problems 😵 still kicking myself for not driving to a better viewing location last weekend fingers crossed this new spot brings some redemption 🤞😂 hopefully without 70% cloud cover this time 😬

7 minutes ago, Ronja said:

Did another test trying to project it on a sphere and rotate it to view better. https://imgsli.com/MjY0NTc1/0/1

It's still terribly inaccurate, but at least it will be fun experiment to see if it will still be anything like it once it comes around 😋

I think it’s super cool and well done. Thank you for sharing it with us! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know, but the timing of certain flares and coronal adjustments suggested a coupling between these two regions. I don't really understand how such a coupling could work mechanically, but it's not the first time I've looked at this and figured some kind of coupling between regions seems to be a thing. This was, perhaps, the starkest example of such. 

But... got to caveat that with the point that this could just be observational bias.

[Edit] Ah... realised I wasn't answering the question raised. This comment was about a possible relationship between this and 3675[? don't remember numbers]

8 hours ago, Sotiris Konstantis said:

Is this an opposite polarity spot?

image_2024-05-16_182041384-min.png.e3c2cfea962b3db02d962c9e825a82ee.png

Edited by HalfFeralHuman