Records from current activity discussion

Go to solution Solved by Aten,

• Solution
2 hours ago, Sotiris Konstantis said:

We are currently on 470 minutes (close to 8 hours) above M level. What is the record?

There was an extremely powerful flare on August 16 1989 that stayed above M levels for just over 13 hours. Back then the x-ray flux was measured/reported a bit differently and if I understand correctly C7 back then would be equal to M1 today. If M level had been the same back then as it is today we would have been above M for 21 hours 50 minutes straight starting late August 15 1989.

No idea if this is actually the record, I just knew that this flare was very long lasting so I went and looked up the data for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well u should look at days where the background flux was above M level. So for example April 2nd 2001 and April 3rd 2001 or December 29th 2001.

we have about 12 days with background flux above M1

Twelve days!!  Incredible   It certainly explains the current high 10.7 solar flux, which Imo is likely to exceed 250 some day very soon.  Incidentally I knew nothing about TCI until I found this site. It is over 25 now. Into the “ Hot” region.  Dunno when that last happened besides 10/1957 Pretty darn cool.

Edited by hamateur 1953
Checked 10.7. And TCI

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Twelve days!!  Incredible   It certainly explains the current high 10.7 solar flux, which Imo is likely to exceed 250 some day very soon.  Incidentally I knew nothing about TCI until I found this site. It is over 25 now. Into the “ Hot” region.  Dunno when that last happened besides 10/1957 Pretty darn cool.

What is TCI? 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

What is TCI? 

Hey @MinYoongi  TCI is measured by a satellite or satellites at a frequency of approximately 30 CM in a similar manner to solar flux. However those wavelengths are too long to be measured at ground level. TCI is measuring the “ puffing up” which is now or cooling off like in year 2009 when solar activity was very low in SC 24.  That’s a brief explanation as I have come to understand it from others here over the last two years.  It’s available on SW.C btw.  Mike.   One more really cool thing ( to me anyway) last Friday positively verified the geomagnetic warming of our thermosphere!  In addition I feel it may be a better predictor of F2 activity in winter here being as it is closer to the Ultraviolet spectrum. Much work still needs to be done there.  Hopefully that helps a bit although I know you’re not a Ham.  Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Afterthought
  • Like 1

The TCI is an interesting measure that combines the effects of flares and geomagnetic activity.

The last time TCI was in that region was during Cycle 23: (Chart from here, Tony Phillips of Spaceweather.com is generating those)
tci.thumb.png.17979051707240f9aa5d3483c1a3dc5b.png

Posted (edited)

A TCI readout like the one spaceweather.com might be something worth considering adding @Vancanneyt Sander, I'd use it.  Maybe not on the main page, but on the solar cycle page? Especially if you could make graphs like in the post above, it'd be a good way to track the progression and strength of solar cycles.

Edited by Sam Warfel

13 uren geleden, Sam Warfel zei:

A TCI readout like the one spaceweather.com might be something worth considering adding @Vancanneyt Sander, I'd use it.  Maybe not on the main page, but on the solar cycle page? Especially if you could make graphs like in the post above, it'd be a good way to track the progression and strength of solar cycles.

IF we have acces to the data we can arrange it

• Like 1