Anomaly..

Go to solution Solved by Tino Lehtonen,

3am this morning while I was on aurora watch I saw something really weird, I saw four huge translucent "things" snake across the sky at a ridiculous speed, one after the other and too fast for me to even get a photo, there was no aurora activity either side of their arrival, they actually looked like huge bubbles 😳 I'm still at a loss to explain them actually.. anyone know? 

Speculation here but possibly a very unusual thing I personally have never seen but called STEVE an acronym for something.  It was discussed in an old thread two years or less ago.  It may still be archived here somewhere.  Good luck. And welcome. Mike 

Posted (edited)

Some kind UAP, but not STEVE as described in other posts of the forum (STEVE is a string/stripe/strike across the sky, not bubbles)

STEVE = Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement

Edited by Glowman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Annette said:

3am this morning while I was on aurora watch I saw something really weird, I saw four huge translucent "things" snake across the sky at a ridiculous speed, one after the other and too fast for me to even get a photo, there was no aurora activity either side of their arrival, they actually looked like huge bubbles 😳 I'm still at a loss to explain them actually.. anyone know? 

Sounds like STEVE

It sounds like OP is saying that the shape was a bubble and that the path followed over the sky was snaking. It sounds almost like the rippling pulse of an arc but viewed from close such that it would appear to move very quickly, but in the absence of any other visible aurora that doesn't seem likely either. The only thing similar I have seen - which I have always wondered about too - is fast pulsing (2-5Hz, too fast for camera) or flashing patches, but those didn't really transit the sky and were seen amongst other aurora activity. Did it appear above you or was it closer to the horizon? Was a trail left behind? And just how fast did they appear to be moving?

10 minutes ago, pux said:

It sounds like OP is saying that the shape was a bubble and that the path followed over the sky was snaking. It sounds almost like the rippling pulse of an arc but viewed from close such that it would appear to move very quickly, but in the absence of any other visible aurora that doesn't seem likely either. The only thing similar I have seen - which I have always wondered about too - is fast pulsing (2-5Hz, too fast for camera) or flashing patches, but those didn't really transit the sky and were seen amongst other aurora activity. Did it appear above you or was it closer to the horizon? Was a trail left behind? And just how fast did they appear to be moving?

Wow.  That sounds like a cool thing to have personally seen!!  Love the pulsing.  Cool stuff. 

• Thanks 1

• Solution

I was gonna guess pulsating aurora but who the hell is STEVE? 😅 I didn't knew such things exist. What a world we live in.

Pulsating aurora is visually fery fast moving, usually it moves in patterns like firefront on paper or a dry field but very fast. I've seen some that looked like strobelight that light the whole sky faintly last year.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tino, that sounds about right thank god 😂 it was almost like what you said about the strobe, translucent, almost like massive bubbles HUGE and snaked right across at a scary speed 😳 well I doubt I'll see that again 🤨 and considering the contents I don't wanna see it close up either 😆👍

2 hours ago, MasterOfTheSun777 said:

Hello Annette, did it look like a bubble or a snake, those are two different shapes. Could you tell us how went the trajectory ? Was the color of it a bit green or blue ?

Strangely enough they did have a blue and green, they where more like giant bubbles with some drag at the back if that makes sense? I was sitting facing west, Ireland ahead of me, I'm on the west coast of the UK Liverpool, 'they' appeared to come from what would be the direction of Russia and went in the direction of south America 😆 (stay with me .🙄 I didn't exactly have access to co ordinates, just a female homing device 🤨) admittedly the first two had a slightly different trajectory than the following two, it was between 2 and 3 am, 🙄 👍

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Wow.  That sounds like a cool thing to have personally seen!!  Love the pulsing.  Cool stuff. 

It was smack bang above me, and they were gone start to finish in about 4 seconds each 👍 🫤 gutted I couldn't get a photo..

Sounds very interesting! It might be similar to what i have seen but slightly slower so you can see the front coming in rather than it looking like the whole sky is flashing all at once. I think for now the best term is pulsating aurora but i think what you and i have seen are different from what is commonly called pulsating aurora. There are similarities but the visual scale and speed is exponentially higher. Also the every video of these and my observation have been green only. Blue was in abundance on Friday night but to see all these factors together is rare indeed.

There are so many aspects of aurora and solar effects we don't simply don't have the full picture on and this is one of them. Mind tou my observation was in very calm conditions. It's like the one thing in this world that still has uncharted territory and that's what makes this all so captivating. 

2 hours ago, Annette said:

Thanks Tino, that sounds about right thank god 😂 it was almost like what you said about the strobe, translucent, almost like massive bubbles HUGE and snaked right across at a scary speed 😳 well I doubt I'll see that again 🤨 and considering the contents I don't wanna see it close up either 😆👍

Strangely enough they did have a blue and green, they where more like giant bubbles with some drag at the back if that makes sense? I was sitting facing west, Ireland ahead of me, I'm on the west coast of the UK Liverpool, 'they' appeared to come from what would be the direction of Russia and went in the direction of south America 😆 (stay with me .🙄 I didn't exactly have access to co ordinates, just a female homing device 🤨) admittedly the first two had a slightly different trajectory than the following two, it was between 2 and 3 am, 🙄 👍

OK thanks for your explanations. Three more questions; 1) was the trajectory a bit curved or more like straight line trajectory ? 2) did you see them appear ? If yes were they coming out of a cloud ? 3 ) as Pux had asked ; was a trail left behind them ?

Not sure it's a STEVE or a pulsating aurora on my side. But it's just my two cents ofc...

They definitely weren't straight, for want of a better description it was kind of like watching a sperm on it's journey under a microscope I didn't see much of a tail though, more like an elongated end really 🙄 it also seemed they where definitely way above the clouds though, 🤨 there was intermittent clouds but I had an opening at that point.👍

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tino Lehtonen said:

I was gonna guess pulsating aurora but who the hell is STEVE? 😅 I didn't knew such things exist. What a world we live in.

Pulsating aurora is visually fery fast moving, usually it moves in patterns like firefront on paper or a dry field but very fast. I've seen some that looked like strobelight that light the whole sky faintly last year.

Hilarious stuff @Tino LehtonenThanks for clearing that anomaly up as much as possible!  Next time look for a sign saying “ tic-tac” on the side of whatever is flying by. ( jk) 

I wanna see that pulsing now!! Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 12:10 PM, Annette said:

'they' appeared to come from what would be the direction of Russia

Just my two cents, not to drive any sort of baseless speculation, but what you described being distinct from a STEVE and not correlating to any geomagnetic activity, at that latitude, from that direction, considering the current geopolitical climate(again, let's just leave it at our two cents, here), I believe you were seeing military weapons tests. The giveaway is the description of a "bubble" and something moving at incredible speed, too quick to grab a camera and capture in the dead of night when most are asleep, and too far away for a sonic boom or detonation to be heard.

Personally, I'd abstain from reporting these too "precisely" in the future. If it is indeed the British military, its likely somewhat logistically challenging to have a potentially secret test broadcast publicly and turned into something it is not. If its anyone else, the military already knows all about it and nothing negative appears to have happened as a result, and so there's nothing much to be concerned about in either case. There are also collaborative efforts with defense companies to develop new rockets, typically requiring the military to conduct such tests legally, all for the eventual production and sale on the global market.

We need to understand that rocket science is incredibly difficult and tedious. Things need to be tested in a much more thorough manner than practically all other technologies across all industries, before any such technology or its derivatives can be fielded or moved into public industries. Its your defense taxes at work. Besides all of that, I am just speculating off of a description that near-perfectly matches what a rocket firing laterally across the sky at a high altitude at 3am would look like. It's been recorded and posted over the past few years, elsewhere. 

tl;dr I don't think what was described was a natural phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 2:51 AM, Christopher Shriver said:

Just my two cents, not to drive any sort of baseless speculation, but what you described being distinct from a STEVE and not correlating to any geomagnetic activity, at that latitude, from that direction, considering the current geopolitical climate(again, let's just leave it at our two cents, here), I believe you were seeing military weapons tests. The giveaway is the description of a "bubble" and something moving at incredible speed, too quick to grab a camera and capture in the dead of night when most are asleep, and too far away for a sonic boom or detonation to be heard.

Personally, I'd abstain from reporting these too "precisely" in the future. If it is indeed the British military, its likely somewhat logistically challenging to have a potentially secret test broadcast publicly and turned into something it is not. If its anyone else, the military already knows all about it and nothing negative appears to have happened as a result, and so there's nothing much to be concerned about in either case. There are also collaborative efforts with defense companies to develop new rockets, typically requiring the military to conduct such tests legally, all for the eventual production and sale on the global market.

We need to understand that rocket science is incredibly difficult and tedious. Things need to be tested in a much more thorough manner than practically all other technologies across all industries, before any such technology or its derivatives can be fielded or moved into public industries. Its your defense taxes at work. Besides all of that, I am just speculating off of a description that near-perfectly matches what a rocket firing laterally across the sky at a high altitude at 3am would look like. It's been recorded and posted over the past few years, elsewhere. 

tl;dr I don't think what was described was a natural 

It is most certainly fascinating to me anyway.   I wonder if strong geomagnetic pulses can induce these visual effects though.  They most certainly have been acknowledged as being responsible for the detonation of the magnetic mines in Vietnam during that conflict. However I have no access to classified data ( never have had btw).