Sorry for putting the forum down

I have a suggestion: Impose a maximum daily post limit, so that a handful of users who flood this forum with low-effort comments do not take away the opportunity to hold conversation from the rest of us!

It would encourage more thought put into a conversation, treating this not as a chaotic "group chat" but the organized internet forum it is. Self-control is critical, but when it comes to going nuclear and shutting it down, I'd rather the disproportionate posting habits of others gets addressed first, whenever possible. Think: If someone posts 200 comments in a day, and the average user posts 1-5 a day, the one user accounts for 40-200 other people, exacerbated by rapid, successive, conversational posts.

There is no time for conversations of the lengths we're seeing to be read, particularly when it boils down to the high availability of input-output neuroticism, so they are turning into excuses to post without a real purpose. I've said it before, but this belongs in a live messenger format, and has severely degraded the quality of conversations here. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

4 minuten geleden, Christopher Shriver zei:

Impose a maximum daily post limit

It’s not only the posts but also users browsing the forum to seek for information on the current storms. Maybe restrict guests during stormy times but I’m afraid it won’t decrease the load significantly. 
SWPC site was also down so we where not the only one struggling with the intense traffic. 

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It’s not only the posts but also users browsing the forum to seek for information on the current storms. Maybe restrict guests during stormy times but I’m afraid it won’t decrease the load significantly. 
SWPC site was also down so we where not the only one struggling with the intense traffic. 

Ah okay. I was overestimating the impact of posts. Still...

8 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Is it maybe possible to separate the servers? Im not an expert in any way, so this is just a very simple childish thought.

Moving the database to an other server yes, but external databases have also longer connection times so… 
We could also move the forum to the cloud of the software provider but it has a financial consequence

19 minuten geleden, Christopher Shriver zei:

Ah okay. I was overestimating the impact of posts. Still...

Well once 6665 users visit the forum that’s a whole lot 🙈

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Moving the database to an other server yes, but external databases have also longer connection times so… 
We could also move the forum to the cloud of the software provider but it has a financial consequence

Thats not optimal 😕 Anyways, with my next paycheck i will make a donation to help make the forum withstand the upcoming user-maximum during solar maximum! :D 

• Like 1

I'm a software engineer during the day and I have been working with high load systems. While I admit, I have no idea about the hardware or software architecture of SWL, I don't think even 10.000 concurrent users reading with a handful of people posting should do much to a modern site such as this. Maybe it just needs optimisation? But I don't want to speculate here. @MinYoongi is right, we all can do more to help our beloved space weather website to stay alive, even under heavy traffic during times such as this. 

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The UKs Aurora Watch site and App went down a couple of times as well.

I don't think anyone was expecting the sheer amount of people who were just constantly refreshing the page and expecting any website to just post "Location X - 23:45 - Get your camera"

I like the idea of having limited number of posts in peak times, but then again I am new and only found you through a friend linking me to you guys so I don't have much say on the matter. 

I appreciate you guys regardless.

I also just found you all after a friend pointed me this direction and appreciate all that you do. As Sunshine stated, you may just need optimisation, but at what layer is the question...  I am a database developer and I specialize in performance tuning both new and existing architecture. Depending on which database youre using and which ones youre accessing I can probably help (currently on 6 months off for paternity leave so timing is good). If youd like to touch base let me know and l can show you the credentials/background.

9 uren geleden, Sunshine zei:

I don't think even 10.000 concurrent users reading with a handful of people posting should do much to a modern site such as this. Maybe it just needs optimisation?

The database server is still on the physical server so it might be good to separate them but likely some settings could be tweaked but I'm no database expert myself. The config file of the database has many optimizations already but databases consume a lot of memory especially with many concurrent users and that eats RAM. Because of that we made SWL with barely any database usage to keep it super fast. Forum is database dependent so that's where we hit limits. 

5 uren geleden, eastcoastghostDC zei:

I also just found you all after a friend pointed me this direction and appreciate all that you do. As Sunshine stated, you may just need optimisation, but at what layer is the question...  I am a database developer and I specialize in performance tuning both new and existing architecture. Depending on which database youre using and which ones youre accessing I can probably help (currently on 6 months off for paternity leave so timing is good). If youd like to touch base let me know and l can show you the credentials/background.

can always discuss this in private 🙂