AR3664

Go to solution Solved by Adohran,
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Reminder: this thread is for solar activity like flares and CMEs launching from the sunspot.
To discuss the CME's travel or impacts on Earth, please move to this thread in the geomagnetic activity forums.
Thanks!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Velocity said:

Worth noting that xray has been M+ for almost 6 hours now 

Our ionosphere thanks it!  Unfortunately dark in American territory now! 

Edited by hamateur 1953

In the almost 2 years I've been following space weather, I don't remember seeing the x-ray flux above M for that long at a time. Is this region responsible for the flux remaining so high?

3 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

In the almost 2 years I've been following space weather, I don't remember seeing the x-ray flux above M for that long at a time. Is this region responsible for the flux remaining so high?

Sorry, I asked before checking. It seems that 3663 also still has something to do with this

17 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

24-hour average also comfortably in the M-range, heh:

Crazy to see an M-range average. 3663 and 3664 are my new favourite sunspots. Also most impressive thing I've seen since I've started following space weather

6 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

3 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

Sorry, I asked before checking. It seems that 3663 also still has something to do with this

Yeah, it's those two regions for the most part, both highly active and complex; you can see them flash on and off almost constantly lately.

4 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

We can only measure the highest flux at any given moment as far as I am aware. Our abilities are limited by aperture I think.  

The X-ray flux is the total flux from the entire disc at any point in time; there was some discussion about that lately, and while there is a quad diode present that is used for a flare location product, it's not used to isolate individual flares in terms of the listed flux itself.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, coinpeace said:

this makes ozone if im not mistaken?

Ozone as far as I am aware is primarily generated by ionisation of oxygen atoms by ultraviolet light.  And keeps us all safe.  It is another interesting subject worth looking into.  

Hey @Philalethes  I meant to ask you a question and may have in the past, but cannot recall now.  What level of SFU is the M baseline?  Tnx. Mike   I always “ ballparked” it at 200 before 

Edited by hamateur 1953

13 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Hey @Philalethes  I meant to ask you a question and may have in the past, but cannot recall now.  What level of SFU is the M baseline?  Tnx. Mike   I always “ ballparked” it at 200 before 

That's a good question, but I'm not sure. To get an idea of the correspondence between the two one could take successive 24-hour averages of the X-ray flux and compare them to the F10.7 measurements, but since F10.7 remains a daily measurement (well, three times daily, but the 20:00 one in this case) it might be a bit off. Perhaps comparing the X-ray flux at 20:00 daily with the F10.7 and seeing what the ratio is that way could be an idea. I think you'd ideally have long-term X-ray flux data to check that, but I'm not sure where to find that, the X-ray data I've been using is the one listed on the data tab here, and only goes 7 days back. I guess checking those 7 days first would be a preliminary step, but it's a low sample size; might do that later though, can always check it against the 18:00 and 22:00 F10.7 measurements too (maybe they'll finally be useful for something, heh).

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

That's a good question, but I'm not sure. To get an idea of the correspondence between the two one could take successive 24-hour averages of the X-ray flux and compare them to the F10.7 measurements, but since F10.7 remains a daily measurement (well, three times daily, but the 20:00 one in this case) it might be a bit off. Perhaps comparing the X-ray flux at 20:00 daily with the F10.7 and seeing what the ratio is that way could be an idea. I think you'd ideally have long-term X-ray flux data to check that, but I'm not sure where to find that, the X-ray data I've been using is the one listed on the data tab here, and only goes 7 days back. I guess checking those 7 days first would be a preliminary step, but it's a low sample size; might do that later though, can always check it against the 18:00 and 22:00 F10.7 measurements too (maybe they'll finally be useful for something, heh).

Yeah I have always wondered about that, because there is a definite relationship, however flux varies wildly too. But to see an Average for 24 hrs at M class levels is staggering to me at least!!   Tnx. @Philalethes.  Mike 

Which AR??  Haha. If it has an association with 3663 by prevailing rules it must be a limb event.  😆

4 minutes ago, Open said:

This will shoot X 4+ today watch me

Just now, SamDieGurke said:

Noticed this too, well visible on 131A again. Would be cool :)

There is indeed a CME lifting currently, so far it doesn't look that impressive but it could trigger a bigger one

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

There is indeed a CME lifting currently, so far it doesn't look that impressive but it could trigger a bigger one

Due to filaments?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mozy said:

Possibly new eruption incoming? Stuff is starting to lift/rise

Flux is on a slow rise aswell, an eruption it is. M5.63 right now

M6.77 now (11:54 UTC)

M7.02 (11:55 UTC)

M7.27 (11:56 UTC)

M7.9 (11:59 UTC)

Edited by chronical
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Due to filaments?

No, like the X-flare, didn't look that impressive on the rise but once it reached higher it caused more mass to blast out, same could happen now.