AR3664

Go to solution Solved by Adohran,
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Reminder: this thread is for solar activity like flares and CMEs launching from the sunspot.
To discuss the CME's travel or impacts on Earth, please move to this thread in the geomagnetic activity forums.
Thanks!

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

why? :D 

Well I actually went to 3663 ( N) and rechecked the leading spot!   Haha no kidding.  Relieved that I wasn’t going nuts I went back to 3668 and looked at what it was that @tniickck was bringing up regarding its explosive growth, agreed and noted SWPC hadn’t tagged it as a BGD yet.  

Posted (edited)

As if to confirm all of this SFI was over 200 at 23:00 last night and presently:17:00 utc 197.  Rockandroll   Just one more maddening but humorous note: my six metre ground plane antenna just bit the dust.  Oh well with six metres wide open now an inverted Vee should work at twenty feet. Edit. 20:00 SFI 204. .  
adjusted if ya care: 207.   Note: this is why predicting anything is so doggone hard.  USAF is still the best imho but conditions on our sun change rapidly and seemingly mysteriously.  General trends are pretty simple as we have 24 cycles to view, but short term?  Good luck with that! Just my opinion here 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Antenna demise afterthoughts
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

As if to confirm all of this SFI was over 200 at 23:00 last night and presently:17:00 utc 197.  Rockandroll   Just one more maddening but humorous note: my six metre ground plane antenna just bit the dust.  Oh well with six metres wide open now an inverted Vee should work at twenty feet. 🤣🤣

oh no! hope its not expensive to replace?!

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i always thought its expensive to get lol

I’m an anachronism. Build a lot of my own stuff @MinYoongi haha. Clearly didn’t use enough heat for good penetration on a silver braze.  No biggie nobody hurt or electrified no problem. More spare aluminium  tubing for next year. Haha 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WhereingtonEvent said:

FYI, don’t bother using your eclipse glasses to see 3664….  I tried an failed. 

@WhereingtonEventI was able to see it this morning with my eclipse glasses quite easily. In my experience ~500 MH sized alpha spot can be seen. If the spot is not compact, usually about 600-700 MH is needed to see it.

Edited by Sapphire828
Removed duplicate post
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Where can i best see the CME?

I mean most wavelengths on SUVI is showing it well currently, but 131A and 195A for this one.

1 minute ago, mozy said:

I mean most wavelengths on SUVI is showing it well currently, but 131A and 195A for this one.

131A is always tricky to me. i prefer to use 195 :) 131 is very "oversaturated" and i find it hard to make out details, at least on my phone. whats your opinion so far?

Posted (edited)

Oh this one actually looks promising, seems to go directly towards us too judging by SUVI alone, gotta wait for LASCO though?

Edit: ok 195A actually Shows slight dimming to the south only but hey.

Edited by SamDieGurke
  • Like 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

131A is always tricky to me. i prefer to use 195 :) 131 is very "oversaturated" and i find it hard to make out details, at least on my phone. whats your opinion so far?

Well usually that is the case, but It's showing really well on this 131A too, atleast it looks decent for now.