AR3664

Go to solution Solved by Adohran,
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Reminder: this thread is for solar activity like flares and CMEs launching from the sunspot.
To discuss the CME's travel or impacts on Earth, please move to this thread in the geomagnetic activity forums.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Flaring currently. What does „something big“ mean and why does it look like that to you? 

In the picture I was commenting on I saw what looked to me as a larger activity area in 3664 but 3663 was the area flaring so I was just making a gut assumption that 3664 was gonna have a big flare soon while it looks so active 

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

here is a suvi 195 video going back and forth. there is dimming but i need help in determining if thats a proper cme and earth directed, and if how much etc. or if its a case of "not interesting enough, not big/fast enough" or anything. :) 

My knowledge on the whole cme part is nowhere near anyone else here. I'm an artist and in my opinion the picture I posted almost looked like the poster boy of "if a sunspot is magnetically caged". To me it looks like 3 bubbles of magnetism. 2 solid ones and the 3rd at the bottom of ar3664 looks weak and like it could "explode". My whole thinking on this is based off of something that probably sounds really ridiculous but here goes...  have you ever noticed how a bubble in water tends to pop faster than a group of 3 bubbles? Are 3663 looks like a single bubble in the picture I shared but ar 3664 looks like a group of 3 bubbles. Is it possible that bubble groups are what helps to form magnetically caged sunspots? Could this be why 3664 hasn't had a big flare and its close to "popping" a big one?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jay-B said:

It looks like that area is getting ready for something big

Don't shout it! Don't shout it!:o

Great things happen when no one is looking.;)

Edited by Wolf star

8 hours ago, mozy said:

That I'm not sure of, It's kinda in an awkward spot atm :D

Jan Alvestad at Solen has designated it as a separate group(using his own designation), and the visualisation seems to support that.

solen_3664.jpg.80470b83c0e96e38d227dd94b7f5f57b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Jan Alvestad at Solen has designated it as a separate group(using his own designation), and the visualisation seems to support that.

solen_3664.jpg.80470b83c0e96e38d227dd94b7f5f57b.jpg

In the latest synoptic map made this utc morning (circa 5h ago) they don’t recognize it as a region 

27 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

In the latest synoptic map made this utc morning (circa 5h ago) they don’t recognize it as a region 

That region isn’t interesting anymore anyway, it lost its delta throughout the night

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chronical said:

That region isn’t interesting anymore anyway, it lost its delta throughout the night

But the topic region still has a delta, and this region has a delta still, just not the same

Edited by MinYoongi

9 minutes ago, tniickck said:

just look how it has grown in past 24 hrs

However it is assessed,  one, two three regions or as Kevin ( Solar Ham) coined a term recently “ magnetic mess” which seems to apply here certainly it currently is our best hope for a CME or risky for our entire High Frequency radio communications depending on one’s perspective. 😆
Good Morning, or afternoon to Europe. 
Mike. 

3 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

However it is assessed,  one, two three regions or as Kevin ( Solar Ham) coined a term recently “ magnetic mess” which seems to apply here certainly it currently is our best hope for a CME or risky for our entire High Frequency radio communications depending on one’s perspective. 😆
Good Morning, or afternoon to Europe. 
Mike. 

Good afternoon from germany :) 

You mean the HF Com thing because of radio blackouts due to flares? :D 

• Like 1

Yes, although it is very complicated.  When flares initially hit D-RAP will typically go blood-red and if we happen to be operating on our lower frequency bands (3.5 -4 mhz or 80 metres) signals will literally disappear immediately for a big X flare).  I don’t go that low in frequency these days except maybe at night when our sun is busy elsewhere.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

But the topic region still has a delta, and this region has a delta still, just not the same

Yup, the delta mozy was talking about is only getting better and better 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mozy said:

Yeah this whole area is starting to look good for bigger eruptions, only a matter of time now.

i think a flare from this region just now maybe

12 minutes ago, chronical said:

Yup, the delta mozy was talking about is only getting better and better 

which one? i cant keep up lol!

Edited by MinYoongi
mixed up qoutes

4 minutes ago, Aten said:

Flare is from 3663

ph. suvi wasnt updated when i saw the flare hehe :D 

24 minutes ago, mozy said:

Yeah this whole area is starting to look good for bigger eruptions, only a matter of time now.

do you think its 1 sunspot or two? J.Alvestad from Solen agreed with you!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

do you think its 1 sunspot or two? J.Alvestad from Solen agreed with you!

I'm not sure what to think anymore since spots from AR3668 keeps merging with AR3664

Edited by mozy
missed a word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

as far as i remember @Vancanneyt Sander told me once that regions cant merge

confusing indeed x_x

Well looking at it it doesn’t seem that 3668 is a standalone region 🤷‍♂️. When it was numbered (may 5th) there was a bit of distinction but still, you could also assign two separate regions as well with a positive and negative spot:

IMG_4935.jpeg

Day after (may 6th) magnetically it already looks part of 3664 as there is no clear separation between both regions.

sure is interesting 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

30 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well looking at it it doesn’t seem that 3668 is a standalone region 🤷‍♂️. When it was numbered (may 5th) there was a bit of distinction but still, you could also assign two separate regions as well with a positive and negative spot:

IMG_4935.jpeg

Day after (may 6th) magnetically it already looks part of 3664 as there is no clear separation between both regions.

sure is interesting 

Indeed! Thank you :) 

To be actually honest i do not know what to think about the situation, we are at the worst time of this cycle and i feel really anxious about everything, i really don't know if a carrington event is near, i'm not an expert at all, i just seek answers, facts, it stress me 

9 minutes ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

To be actually honest i do not know what to think about the situation, we are at the worst time of this cycle and i feel really anxious about everything, i really don't know if a carrington event is near, i'm not an expert at all, i just seek answers, facts, it stress me 

worst time?

9 minuten geleden, Mogh, Lord of Blood zei:

don’t stress, this is normal solar activity in the years around solar max!  Enjoy the nice solar flares and the nice Aurora that it can spark. Don’t fall for the fear mongering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

We are nearing the best time of the solar cycle. Carrington events arent all doom and gloom like certain fringe scientists make them out to be. We are constantly rooting for big flares in hopes for big solar storms. There's an extremely small chance that the sun would actually produce a flare or a solar storm that could be strong enough to impact everyday civilians.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Its also funny to me when looking at it I wasn’t certain WHAT I was looking at!

Even had to be sure I was indeed looking at a Southern Hemisphere AR! 😆

why? :D