Canmos Magnetometers

Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

Hi everyone hope this is the right board to post on. I'm in Canada and I'm still slowly learning to to interpret everything. I don't usually understand it but today I'm noticing the line for Ottawa is missing and has some red. Did I miss a chance to see some lights or is it more likely there's some kind of malfunction on that unit? Also since I'm here why does the Baker Lake one look so intense?

Is there a place one can find reliable resources to learn how to learn how to interpret the different data areas? I don't want to fall down a rabbit hole and end up following just any Sponge Bob.

-K

Screenshot_20240204_032034_SpaceWeatherLive.jpg

As a European I don’t use CANMOS but the Kiruna magnetometer but they work the same way. In our help article about the kiruna magnetometer the principles are explained on how it works. So basically when there is a deflection auroral activity increases. The bigger the deflection the stronger the local K-index. Each magnetometer location has its own conversion to local K. In the CANMOS the graph background color helps understanding where the deflections are and how strong they are. I don’t now the exact legend but most likely it follows old K colors of SWPC (yellow K-4, red K>=5). Keep in mind each station has its own local K.

It doesn't list what strength the colours are other than red is most intense and the higher up the chart the further North they are.

Can that happen just in a lower latitude like that and not in the upper? I do see a few places have the similar timed blip but only Ottawas line on the chart has disappeared so thats my biggest confusion but also wondering why one of Baker Lakes blocks is completely blank.

Edited by Kayla Bisson
Thought of another question

• Solution
8 minuten geleden, Kayla Bisson zei:

It doesn't list what strength the colours are other than red is most intense and the higher up the chart the further North they are.

Can that happen just in a lower latitude like that and not in the upper? I do see a few places have the similar timed blip but only Ottawas line on the chart has disappeared so thats my biggest confusion but also wondering why one of Baker Lakes blocks is completely blank.

You should see the deflection also in every other magnetometer. So if it didn’t align there’s something wrong with that magnetometer which is the case with the Ottawa one.

• Like 1