AR 13088 The sunspot that keeps giving!

Going into M range again just now, and SDO went to plaid. (Patterned squares) The pattern was more pronounced a few mins ago, when I went back to screen shot it, it was reduced. The background makes little checkered squares. (Click on the image to see the squares a bit better.)

squares1.png.e53ce86e0b473471326e05a5b06aed9d.png

Speculation/prediction: A little X class flare before it goes to the far side.

EDIT: SDO is down, and there is a type 2 radio emission. Also, the NOAA X-ray flux monitor is down. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Calder said:

And of course it’s on the limb. Seems par for the course. 😆

Yesterday, it was on the limb and couldn’t have been better timing. I got an h-alpha filter about 10 days ago and yesterday was the first decent day to try it out. So, it got first light yesterday and 3088 was absolutely amazing. It being close to the limb, I could see all the stuff coming out of it. It was impressive. H-alpha let’s you look at the chromosphere, rather than the photosphere, so you can see the action! 
I haven’t connected a camera o the filter yet, but it looks like this:

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg

Yesterday, the ropes coming off 3088 were at least 4 times the size of what you can see on the GONG images today (follow link)

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1

Now there is type 2 and type 4 radio emission, so probably a CME during the SDO offline. The SDO image has large loops in the bottom right (Southeast), so I am guessing 3088 was the source. 

3088.png.c2c8e08c72cef6ad8817e24a7636fbdc.png

Edited by Archmonoth

Do you guys think we will see this region again?

currently giving us an M class flare again, i hope that anyone here has stix data so we can see how big the flaring really was.

does size have to do with how long regions persist so we could see them again?

@Vancanneyt Sander I know you probably explained this a while back but i cant seem to correctly remember : Does Goes Pick up its flaring because its not far enough rotated off / the arches are well "seen" or because of the effect that western stuff arrives better at earth? ( cant for the love of god remember the name) because i thought by now this region is rotated off so far that we shouldnt see it flaring anymore? (both on imagery and goes plots)

58 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

@Vancanneyt Sander I know you probably explained this a while back but i cant seem to correctly remember : Does Goes Pick up its flaring because its not far enough rotated off / the arches are well "seen" or because of the effect that western stuff arrives better at earth? ( cant for the love of god remember the name) because i thought by now this region is rotated off so far that we shouldnt see it flaring anymore? (both on imagery and goes plots)

Magnetic loops still reach out above the limb so we can still detect some x-rays of it. Likely the blast was a lot stronger but we don’t have an X-ray sensor on the far side but it could well be an X-flare but that’s just guessing.

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Magnetic loops still reach out above the limb so we can still detect some x-rays of it. Likely the blast was a lot stronger but we don’t have an X-ray sensor on the far side but it could well be an X-flare but that’s just guessing.

So the position does not matter that much because the loops are so big, resulting in us being able to detect it?

We actually kinda have something to measure it right now, solar orbiter is in a good position. STIX can measure it. for an example, the m8 flare was guessed to be up to an X2 :)  I just dont know if that data is available to the public. (saw it on twitter) 

do you think it was a low xclass?

And now the most important question that can only be speculated about
Do you guys think this region could return? Im not sure but i think it did not really show decay when it rotated off and its constant flaring kinda speaks for it still being very complex, but do sunspots "die off" the more they flare? i mean, does their "fuel" never run out? I always imagined them to die rather quickly after firing back to back big flares.

this region seems to not decay or shrink.

is size related to how long they survive?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

A lot can happen in 14 days 😉 so it can return as a graveyard (faculae). Big regions can survive a rotation so who knows, we’ll see in a few weeks

When would the region re-appear exactly? Is it exactly 14 days? :D 

Thank you for explaining 😇 Do they survive simply because they are big? 

if someone has an answer for my "shooting their fuel" theory/question i'd gladly listen btw!

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Around that

Yes, bigger regions take longer to disappear. 

If i remember correctly this region was a sc24 one, right? also read something about the different rotation speeds making it flare more. do sc24 regions have anything special behavioural-wise? Longer liveability, more flaring? 

30051960-C338-4CAE-AB22-4297D6031E39.jpeg.026f1def442163cff5adf4a5d0510c2e.jpeg

Howdy All Y’all!

And Ar13088 sure isa still kickin’ it! Ain’t she purdy? All the way from the beyond! I hope that region makes it back again! Never know, might get lucky. Need to make note of the date (yesterday I would think) so the 28th.  At a 30* latitude, should have a period of around 29 days, so around the 11th of September, give ot take two days. So, imma mark my calendar right now!

All Y’all Have ya a Good ‘Un!

WnA 😉

• Like 1

Has this been maybe the most active AR of this SC so far? I know we’ve had stronger flares (although according to solar orbiter this did give two X-class) but the sheer non-stop frequency of the M and upper M flares from this AR blew me away. 
Anyone know a good way to classify ARs according to “highest amount of decent flares”?