AR13089

WildWill

This one seems to have grown very quickly and spouting out some C & M class flares. In addition, it appears to have developed a couple of deltas, to my untrained eye. It looks to be/or about to be beta-gamma-delta. I saw some remarks about it earlier indicating it was “special” and “rare” because the polarities are stacked, one above the other, as opposed to one following the other horizontally.  Its rapid growth rate was also commented upon. 

Maybe This Is The ‘Really Big One’ We’ve All Been Waiting For, kinda doubt it, just thought I’d throw it out there…  It does seem kinda special.

It took a dip on the x-ray flux a little while ago, but as of this posting, it’s headed back up!

Going ballistic Mav!

WnA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, WildWill said:

This one seems to have grown very quickly and spouting out some C & M class flares. In addition, it appears to have developed a couple of deltas, to my untrained eye. It looks to be/or about to be beta-gamma-delta. I saw some remarks about it earlier indicating it was “special” and “rare” because the polarities are stacked, one above the other, as opposed to one following the other horizontally.  Its rapid growth rate was also commented upon. 

Maybe This Is The ‘Really Big One’ We’ve All Been Waiting For, kinda doubt it, just thought I’d throw it out there…  It does seem kinda special.

It took a dip on the x-ray flux a little while ago, but as of this posting, it’s headed back up!

Going ballistic Mav!

WnA

Yeah good catch WildWill it's reverse polarity as well. More fireworks?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WildWill said:

I saw some remarks about it earlier indicating it was “special” and “rare” because the polarities are stacked, one above the other, as opposed to one following the other horizontally.

May i ask where youve read / seen that? I'd like to read it too. 

Right now the X-Ray Background is mostly fuelled by 3088 as you can see in SUVI.

I think its hard to tell its magnetic config just yet and also growth has slowed down too, in my opinion.

Just now, Newbie said:

Yeah good catch WildWill it's reverse polarity as well. More fireworks?

Does reverse Polarity make it flare more?

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

May i ask where youve read / seen that? I'd like to read it too. 

Right now the X-Ray Background is mostly fuelled by 3088 as you can see in SUVI.

I think its hard to tell its magnetic config just yet and also growth has slowed down too, in my opinion.

Does reverse Polarity make it flare more?

That has been the case lately Min.

Studies show that about 3% of all sunspots violate Hale’s Law. In some ways, reversed polarity sunspots act totally normal. For instance, they have the same lifespan and tend to be about the same size as normal sunspots.

In one key way they are different: According to a 1982 survey by Frances Tang of the Big Bear Solar Observatory, reversed polarity sunspots are more than twice as likely to develop complex magnetic fields, in which + and – are mixed together. Reversed polarity sunspots are therefore more likely to explode. (excerpt from Spaceweather.com)

N.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just now, Newbie said:

That has been the case lately Min.

Studies show that about 3% of all sunspots violate Hale’s Law. In some ways, reversed polarity sunspots act totally normal. For instance, they have the same lifespan and tend to be about the same size as normal sunspots.

In one key way they are different: According to a 1982 survey by Frances Tang of the Big Bear Solar Observatory, reversed polarity sunspots are more than twice as likely to develop complex magnetic fields, in which + and – are mixed together. Reversed polarity sunspots are therefore more likely to explode. (excerpt from Spaceweather.com)

N.

But is 3089 really reversed? Cant look at SDO rn (phone) :D or is 3088 meant?

Im still wondering where the " I saw some remarks about it earlier indicating it was “special” and “rare” because the polarities are stacked, one above the other, as opposed to one following the other horizontally"

qoute comes from.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im still wondering where the " I saw some remarks about it earlier indicating it was “special” and “rare” because the polarities are stacked, one above the other, as opposed to one following the other horizontally"

qoute comes from.

Actually solen hasn't numbered 3088 yet and calls it S7809, I just went back and checked. It confused me. So you are right. Thanks for persisting. Solen can be like that sometimes, they like to disagree with NOAA. IMHO lol.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Actually solen hasn't numbered 3088 yet and calls it S7809, I just went back and checked. It confused me. So you are right. Thanks for persisting. Solen can be like that sometimes, they like to disagree with NOAA. IMHO lol.

N.

No problem! I had to read it multiple times too and compare to his imagery to see he meant the western region with reversed polarity :) 

I think what @WildWill meant was that the magnetic configuration is stacked on top of eachother instead of besides each other, but i have not seen anything anywhere saying that those regions flare more.. so im hoping to find some info/context :) 

42 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Did it really grow that fast? I remember seeing it looked quite big already as it emerged from behind the limb, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

I also struggle to see exactly what you mean by any deltas there; I see some smaller parts that could develop into such, but I don't see an umbrae fulfilling the critera just yet.

It does indeed seem to have some activity, but the largest recent flaring was from 3088 I believe. In fact, since you mention the M-flare and that it's stacked on top of the other, it sounds like you're referring to 3088 rather than 3089.

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

All the major flaring has been around 3089!

Wasn't the M-flare from earlier from 3088?

As for the claim of 3089 having reverse polarity, I fail to see it, but perhaps I'm blind. This is what I see:

polarities.png

I do however see the potential for deltas to form, but I'd say it's a bit early to conclude with anything yet. Always hopeful, of course.

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But is 3089 really reversed? Cant look at SDO rn (phone) :D or is 3088 meant?

To me it seems that 3088 can't really be determined as reversed or not, since the orientation is mostly north-south; however, just looking at the umbrae on the intensitygram makes it seem like it's slightly reversed, with a bit more of the negative polarity on the left.

3089 and 3086 seem to me to both be regular rather than reversed, so not sure how people are seeing reversed polarity there.

7 minutes ago, Newbie said:

N.

Oh, okay, so you were talking about 3088 all along? That makes more sense, if that's the case. I just go by the designations on this site whenever posting here.

2 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Did it really grow that fast? I remember seeing it looked quite big already as it emerged from behind the limb, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

I also struggle to see exactly what you mean by any deltas there; I see some smaller parts that could develop into such, but I don't see an umbrae fulfilling the critera just yet.

It does indeed seem to have some activity, but the largest recent flaring was from 3088 I believe. In fact, since you mention the M-flare and that it's stacked on top of the other, it sounds like you're referring to 3088 rather than 3089.

As for the claim of 3089 having reverse polarity, I fail to see it, but perhaps I'm blind. This is what I see:

polarities.png

I do however see the potential for deltas to form, but I'd say it's a bit early to conclude with anything yet. Always hopeful, of course.

To me it seems that 3088 can't really be determined as reversed or not, since the orientation is mostly north-south; however, just looking at the umbrae on the intensitygram makes it seem like it's slightly reversed, with a bit more of the negative polarity on the left.

3089 and 3086 seem to me to both be regular rather than reversed, so not sure how people are seeing reversed polarity there.

Hello PB, I said there was potential for deltas. There was confusion from Solen calling their region S7809 and not 3088, so yes 3089 is not reverse polarity. They have 3088 as reverse polarity at the moment. According to Solar soft the M flare was from 3089 but another flare from 3088 occurred at the same time but in the imagery it wasn't as bright, hence the nod to 3089.

N.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

The M Flare was from BOTH Regions at the same time actually, you can look at Suvi/SDO Movies.

Can you maybe show me the possible deltas? Im so bad at spotting them.

and yeah, it did not grow thaaaat quickly. You can look at SDO Movie. It surely slowed down by now (in my opinion.) what do you think @Newbie?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

The M Flare was from BOTH Regions at the same time actually, you can look at Suvi/SDO Movies.

and yeah, it did not grow thaaaat quickly. You can look at SDO Movie. It surely slowed down by now (in my opinion.) what do you think @Newbie?

Solarham featured it and pointed out the dual flares, but in the imagery 3089 is definitely the brighter of the two. The potential deltas are regions where the bluish areas are close to the pinkish areas, in the central region of of 3089, but not there yet that i would call. I've got to go, sorry I don't have time to explain further. 

Have a nice evening Min :)

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 3

Howdy!

I didn’t say “reversed polarities” or anything like that. As Newbie pointed out, I noted that they are stacked (regions of opposite polarity) one above the other, as opposed to the normal “leading-following” configuration we see with most sunspot groups.  The term “Reverse Polarity has a good many implications that I’m not at all implying. The fact that it was “one region of polarity above the other” was noted and I did pick up that this was a “rare” sunspot because of it forming that way.  And it has a (seemingl) accelerated rate of growth. 
Hope that’s clear as Chocolate Bayou! 

WnA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

Hello PB, I said there was potential for deltas. There was confusion from Solen calling their region S7809 and not 3088, so yes 3089 is not reverse polarity. They have 3088 as reverse polarity at the moment. According to Solar soft the M flare was from 3089 but another flare from 3088 occurred at the same time but in the imagery it wasn't as bright, hence the nod to 3089.

N.

Ah, I see; according to SolarSoft it does indeed show all the three major flares (C7.3, C8, and M1.8) came from 3089. That's quite interesting. And yes, I agree with 3088, and it also seemed like the more active region, hence why I just assumed that the flaring being from that must have been correct. I suppose that's promising with regards to 3089, then; let's hope for some more. I also agree with the potential for deltas, definitely; there seems to be a region of positive polarity in general in between the negative umbrae too, so maybe that could lead to a gamma. That being said, that single spot to the right seems quite separate from the rest of everything else, so maybe not.

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I think this is the most likely region for a delta, if the positive polarity develops an umbra there. However, the upper left of that same image might also be a candidate, if the negative polarity develops more there. It seems like the two groups are meshed quite tightly together. Good thing we'll have plenty of time to see how this one develops.

potentialdelta.png

4 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Howdy!

I didn’t say “reversed polarities” or anything like that. As Newbie pointed out, I noted that they are stacked (regions of opposite polarity) one above the other, as opposed to the normal “leading-following” configuration we see with most sunspot groups.  The term “Reverse Polarity has a good many implications that I’m not at all implying. The fact that it was “one region of polarity above the other” was noted and I did pick up that this was a “rare” sunspot because of it forming that way.  And it has a (seemingl) accelerated rate of growth. 
Hope that’s clear as Chocolate Bayou! 

Yes, but that seems to be referring to 3088, not 3089 as you suggested with the thread title. Is that correct?

That being said, 3088, which I assume you're referring to (since that's the one with the umbrae aligned north-south, i.e. "stacked one above the other"), does seem to have a slightly reversed polarity. But then again, as you say, they are mostly one on top of the other, so it's not quite clear-cut.

• Like 1

I incorrectly put 3089 in the title, it should have been 3088. My apologies. I saw a map before noaa assigned numbers that had them reversed, so talking with a friend about it, I was on the wrong page. So, I suppose I was actually talking about both groups 😉

The area where I saw deltas form was on the underside of the blue, and by the bottom of that blue region on top.

Interestingly enough, the differential rotation rate has caused that blue region to start to lead, which in the south, right now, red should always lead in the Southern Hemisphere. 
To me it appears that the blue region is dissolving in the north, for lack of a better term, and growing to the south of the that big red smear.  It all seems very active still. 

Regarding 3089: The  x-ray  has become quite active. To me it appears that the large. "ramp up" we see, which seems to be leveling off, is the active region becoming earth facing.  This one looks like it might give us a show.  It's been burning brightly on the LASCO Coronagraph  for a couple of days as it's been comin' 'round the limb.

W

1 hour ago, WildWill said:

Interestingly enough, the differential rotation rate has caused that blue region to start to lead, which in the south, right now, red should always lead in the Southern Hemisphere.

Blue should be leading in the southern hemisphere. Blue is positive, red is negative (another convention that's somewhat odd, considering how red is typically depicted as positive in electrical diagrams).

However, it seems like the negative region is still leading slightly considering how the most active positive region is to the top left. That is probably why it was designated as having a reversed polarity despite primarily being oriented north-south ("one on top of the other").

That is regarding 3088, in case anyone is still confused.

1 hour ago, WildWill said:

Regarding 3089: The  x-ray  has become quite active. To me it appears that the large. "ramp up" we see, which seems to be leveling off, is the active region becoming earth facing.  This one looks like it might give us a show.  It's been burning brightly on the LASCO Coronagraph  for a couple of days as it's been comin' 'round the limb.

It had a fair bit of activity yesterday indeed, it'll be interesting to see how it develops further. I see what you mean on the coronagraph, but I wonder whether some of that might be from the CH as well. I also wonder how much of the HSS from that CH reaches Earth, if any, since they generally don't have the same wide angle as CMEs have.

1 hour ago, shemadebeans said:

is this dangerous

Extremely unlikely. Never say never, just like you might get struck by lightning today, but it's not something you'd really take into account when planning your day.

It almost seems to me like a small delta has formed, but perhaps I'm hallucinating. This is a carefully adjusted overlay of the colored magnetogram on top of the intensitygram:

delta.png

Those umbrae are definitely of different polarity, and seem to be encroaching on each other's penumbrae.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
not flattened

This from SWPC now.

24 hr Summary... Solar activity was moderate with a M1.8/1n flare at 25/1951 UTC from Region 3088 (S26W45, Dai/beta). Region 3089 (S24E56, Dsi/beta) also contributed with an M1/1n flare at 25/2327 UTC; along with C flare activity during the period. Newly numbered Region 3090 (N14E60, Axx/alpha) was unremarkable, as were the remaining three numbered regions.

Solar soft has attributed the M 1.8 flare to 3089 as has another program lmsal sun today.   http://suntoday.lmsal.com/suntoday/?suntoday_date=2022-08-25

As has solarham see below. 

Confusion reigns supreme IMHO!

N.

Screenshot_2022-08-26-19-20-36-1-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

It almost seems to me like a small delta has formed, but perhaps I'm hallucinating. This is a carefully adjusted overlay of the colored magnetogram on top of the flattened intensitygram:

delta.png

Those umbrae are definitely of different polarity, and seem to be encroaching on each other's penumbrae.

P.B. which active region does this belong to? I agree with your assessment. 

N.

• Like 1