AR3058- M2.8 flare!

Sam Warfel

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

A nice M-almost-3 from this emerging area right on the NE limb! I hope it keeps up its activity as it rotates more onto the Earthside!

Yeah great Orneno, there was speculation the M1.5 flare came from around that area yesterday at 81ºE. I've seen it attributed to 3353 but solarsoft showed otherwise. Haven't checked the latest yet.

Big AR. Interesting :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Orneno said:

How do you mean? It looks pretty small/mostly plages to me…

Locations for both flares are as follows N15 E81 - M1.5 from yesterday and N15 E69 - M2.89 today. According to Solar Soft it hasn't been allocated a number yet. By saying big active region I was meaning the whole area, it is quite large. More active than it appears I would suggest.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Locations for both flares are as follows N15 E81 - M1.5 from yesterday and N15 E69 - M2.89 today. According to Solar Soft it hasn't been allocated a number yet. By saying big active region I was meaning the whole area, it is quite large. More active than it appears I would suggest.

N.

True, the M2.8 does show there may be more to this AR than meets the eye… 🤞

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

Officially named 3058 now, I called it 😂

(there weren’t any other new spots that could have gotten the number so I thought it was a safe bet)

Yep, you called it Orneno :) Hope you had a big collect. :)

N.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Finally some activity again

Well, aren’t we getting  a bit spoiled! (Wink), that sun has got stuff going on all over the place!  And more on the limb!

W & A 

11 hours ago, Orneno said:

Officially named 3058 now, I called it 😂

(there weren’t any other new spots that could have gotten the number so I thought it was a safe bet)

I see 3059 on the east limb at about 10*S…

wager anyone?

Edited by WildWill

Hi Orneno,

Being a real Newbie…  to me it looks like it’s close, but not quite. Also, I could be wrong here, so please correct me, but, I thought that a delta occurs when you have a spot of one polarity inside the penumbra of a spot of opposite polarity. A single penumbra. Here, it looks like it’s sandwiched, but the penumbra on either side are associated with different spots, hence not a “single penumbra” of opposite polarity. I’d appreciate your input. I’ve been looking for some good examples of different configurations, but most of the examples of delta I’ve run across seem to be very well defined. Ya know, the textbook case, not your average real world delta… know what I mean?

Thanks

W & A

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WildWill said:

Hi Orneno,

Being a real Newbie…  to me it looks like it’s close, but not quite. Also, I could be wrong here, so please correct me, but, I thought that a delta occurs when you have a spot of one polarity inside the penumbra of a spot of opposite polarity. A single penumbra. Here, it looks like it’s sandwiched, but the penumbra on either side are associated with different spots, hence not a “single penumbra” of opposite polarity. I’d appreciate your input. I’ve been looking for some good examples of different configurations, but most of the examples of delta I’ve run across seem to be very well defined. Ya know, the textbook case, not your average real world delta… know what I mean?

Thanks

W & A

Yeah I see what you mean, and I definitely am no expert. I feel like the penumbras had merged so much they essentially became one, but they could be two different ones squished together as well. 

In either case, whether it’s technically a delta or not, it still has pretty strong magnetic shear!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Yeah I see what you mean, and I definitely am no expert. I feel like the penumbras had merged so much they essentially became one, but they could be two different ones squished together as well. 

In either case, whether it’s technically a delta or not, it still has pretty strong magnetic shear!

Oh, without a doubt. Like way cool!  I like to just stop for a minute now and then and really think about what I’m looking at. Even a small sunspot group, that many would find unexceptional, is absolutely awesome when I put myself there, up close, and imagine what it’s like! 😋 And the scale of it all! Just wanna learn… 

W & A

23 hours ago, Orneno said:

where do you see "shear" ? Like, how do you determine it? 

has the region lost complexity or gained?

Noaa said:

"some separation was observed in its leader spot and a decrease in penumbral area was noted in its trailer spot"

but i dont trust them at all anymore with their stuff