Total blackout

Marc-D

19 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

The grid where I live was built in the late 50's and expanded in the 70's - there are more outages from cold weather alone than any geomagnetic storm or even thunderstorm 

😭

Indeed - I live in Texas where in February 2021 we incurred a once-every-few-decades-event of extreme cold weather 0 °F.   For 3 days my power was cut off up to 10 hours at a time.  Even though my furnace in the attic is gas-powered, it requires electricity to turn on the furnace.  The consequence - frozen pipes - exposed in the attic which normally would stay thawed out.  Fortunately for me not broken pipes, but not everyone was so fortunate.

It was later estimated that several hundred people died (for various reasons) as a result of not having electricity during this extreme cold.  No heat, no water, but cell phone service and cellular internet was always on.

The primary cause was said not to be excessive consumer demand for electricity consumption but because of frozen natural gas lines which fueled the generators of electric utility providers.

The irony is many people who lived In older neighborhoods with homes built in the 50s 60s 70s did not experience any outages throughout that period because those neighborhoods could not be  switched on and off remotely by the power provider.

We don't need a geomagnetic storm to take out our power grid when there are more common methods available, like unusually cold weather and a smart power grid capable of remotely and selectively switching off power.

9 hours ago, Marc-D said:

I know a huge solar storm is going to happen very soon. No matter how I know it.
I'm just trying to find out what could happen to provoke it.

Internal solar dynamics is what provokes it, within the Sun itself. We will see it bubbling out, growing complex, as others have said. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, Marc-D said:

About this : https://spainsnews.com/austria-prepares-its-citizens-for-a-possible-large-scale-blackout/
or the recent Facebook outage

What could happen so that the sun causes within an hour a total blackout on earth, or will we always have +/- 2 or 3 days to have the effects on earth and to prepare for it?

The speed and strength of a CME are typically correlated. Weaker CMEs take longer, more powerful ones arrive faster. The CME which caused the Carrington Event arrived ~17.5 hours after its associated flare was observed.