About the M1 flare...

Quilloz

3 hours ago, Beliskner said:

Do any of you have reading comprehension or just let your pre-conceived notions completely colour your views and do not even bother reading?

The OP is literally asking if Ben Davidson is correct in his prediction that this will be minor 'CME impact should deliver Kp4-6'. 

Several posts proceed to say don't listen to Ben he's a 'doomer' who will say the sky is falling.... and that it's going to be a 4-6 KP event.

I felt compelled to post to point this out as I found it quite hilarious.

Actually, if you read the OP again, I said Kp8. Ben also expected of to be roughly a kp7-8 in terms of intensity as well. Also Ben wasn't the one dooming, his followers were to the point of wanting to commit cannibalism on other people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quilloz said:

Actually, if you read the OP again, I said Kp8. Ben also expected of to be roughly a kp7-8 in terms of intensity as well. Also Ben wasn't the one dooming, his followers were to the point of wanting to commit cannibalism on other people.

Some of the people in the comments are completely off their rocker, and it looks like some of them are beginning to brigade this site. Someone in his vile comment section asked what the white dot transiting the far side of the sun was on a LASCO C2 clip, and Ben told him it was a star. It was Mars.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, David Silver said:

Hello, I’m new to the forum, but not the subject. I’m personally afraid of the incoming G2 space weather for Sunday/ Monday because I’m adversely affected. I’m here to learn more. 
My bio explains why, but short version is that last time we had such a flare, I was physically and mentally incapacitated. It seems like we’ll get a G2, that CME is moving fast.

In the past 12 months, I have gone from barely ever being affected, to now significant negative effects from the space weather almost weekly. Something is changing. I’m not a wing nut. I am at the point of getting recent MRIs and such to look into my condition, but am here with the true nerds to hyper focus on this and learn what I can.

(edit: I have carefully charted the weather as it pertains to my health, and when Bz is negative, I suffer)

If you don’t know or believe in heliobiology, I understand, but please be nice, because this is actually happening to me, and it reeeeaaaally sucks. 

I firmly believe in heliobiology and rather than being the astrophysicists most of you are, I am a clinical pharmacologist. You can read the details in my profile. I also have dysautonomia where my autonomic nervous system essentially misfires or short circuits. And it really does it big time in times of solar, geomagnetic and Schumann Resonance activity. And there has been an almost three day blackout in the Schumann Resonance that finally ended yesterday. Everyone worries about power grids, internet’s, air traffic etc. but all this radiation passes through organic material just fine and being electrical in nature has a profound effect on cardiovascular, pulmonary, glandular etc. systems, all controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Right now my bp and pulse go up and down like a yo-yo, daily headaches and if the stuff coming at us doesn’t diminish soon, I’m gonna knock somebody’s block off. 

So yes, David, I understand and know exactly what you’re going through! And yes, it really sucks! I can provide research articles from the literature if you like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aidanodr said:

This is the first direct effect of this recent event I have seen 

The direct effect being fake news?  That is certainly possible.  There are opportunists, alarmists, and simple jokers out there who would attribute such outages to solar weather without any likelihood or evidence that it was the cause.  But these people soon reveal themselves by their statements and actions to be dubious and not at all authentic.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BlackTara said:

I firmly believe in heliobiology and rather than being the astrophysicists most of you are, I am a clinical pharmacologist. You can read the details in my profile. I also have dysautonomia where my autonomic nervous system essentially misfires or short circuits. And it really does it big time in times of solar, geomagnetic and Schumann Resonance activity. And there has been an almost three day blackout in the Schumann Resonance that finally ended yesterday. Everyone worries about power grids, internet’s, air traffic etc. but all this radiation passes through organic material just fine and being electrical in nature has a profound effect on cardiovascular, pulmonary, glandular etc. systems, all controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Right now my bp and pulse go up and down like a yo-yo, daily headaches and if the stuff coming at us doesn’t diminish soon, I’m gonna knock somebody’s block off. 

So yes, David, I understand and know exactly what you’re going through! And yes, it really sucks! I can provide research articles from the literature if you like.

Does your health change in 5 year cycles? I'm asking because the Sun has an active and inactive period. Do you suffer from symptoms when there is no Sun activity? 

I am more familiar with pharmacy than astrophysics, and I know there are a million explanations for your symptoms besides belief in heliobiology. Blood pressure changes are serious, are you taking medication? Headaches and anger have a large variety of physiological and psychological causes, are you taking any medication for those? 

Humans have insulators around our neurons and autonomic systems. They are lipid layers which protect against disruption called Myelin sheathes. These protect our heart, our brain, and prevent impact from outside radiation. Myelin - Wikipedia

Perhaps your Myelin sheathes are degraded?  

Edited by Archmonoth

2 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Does your health change in 5 year cycles? I'm asking because the Sun has an active and inactive period. Do you suffer from symptoms when there is no Sun activity? 

I am more familiar with pharmacy than astrophysics, and I know there are a million explanations for your symptoms besides belief in heliobiology. Blood pressure changes are serious, are you taking medication? Headaches and anger have a large variety of physiological and psychological causes, are you taking any medication for those? 

Humans have insulators around our neurons and autonomic systems. They are lipid layers which protect against disruption called Myelin sheathes. These protect our heart, our brain, and prevent impact from outside radiation. Myelin - Wikipedia

Perhaps your Myelin sheathes are degraded?  

Remember I said I have dysautonomia. I use lisinopril and amlodipine to control the cardio exacerbation, esomeprazole for the gastroparesis and gerd, estradiol for the temperature non regulation, myrbetic for urinary retention, diazepam and tizanidine for sleep disruption and certain supplements known to be deficient in dysautonomia syndromes. Autonomic testing showed autonomic nerves were intact but there is a huge amount of sympathetic tone. I’m a walking pharmacy and poly pharmacy is a huge danger in us old guys. Clinical pharmacologist, remember. I become much more symptomatic in these types of astronomical events. Hope that answered your questions. I also set up my own controlled trials on myself. 

6 hours ago, BlackTara said:

Remember I said I have dysautonomia. I use lisinopril and amlodipine to control the cardio exacerbation, esomeprazole for the gastroparesis and gerd, estradiol for the temperature non regulation,

Do any of the impact of these drugs change when not in Sunlight for you? Temperature non-regulated? This sounds like hot flashes from hormonal changes in both men and women after 50. Is this a life long symptom or just recent? 

Autonomic testing showed autonomic nerves were intact but there is a huge amount of sympathetic tone.

Do you notice this during 5 year cycles? Perhaps having hot flashes and taking anti-anxiety meds will produce the sensitivity to tone as well? Although I'm not sure exactly what you mean, these aren't technical descriptions in pharmacy that I've used/interacted with. I was  a pharmacy technician for 10 years. 

I’m a walking pharmacy and poly pharmacy is a huge danger in us old guys. Clinical pharmacologist, remember. I become much more symptomatic in these types of astronomical events. Hope that answered your questions. I also set up my own controlled trials on myself. 

Do you see increases/changes during the 5 year solar cycle? My guess is  this would be the first step in any control group for testing solar activity on biology. Do you stop taking meds during the inactive solar cycles? What are your symptoms like during solar inactivity?

Edited by Archmonoth

12 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Do any of the impact of these drugs change when not in Sunlight for you? Temperature non-regulated? This sounds like hot flashes from hormonal changes in both men and women after 50. Is this a life long symptom or just recent? 

Do you notice this during 5 year cycles? Perhaps having hot flashes and taking anti-anxiety meds will produce the sensitivity to tone as well? Although I'm not sure exactly what you mean, these aren't technical descriptions in pharmacy that I've used/interacted with. I was  a pharmacy technician for 10 years. 

Do you see increases/changes during the 5 year solar cycle? My guess is  this would be the first step in any control group for testing solar activity on biology. Do you stop taking meds during the inactive solar cycles? What are your symptoms like during solar inactivity?

To try and address these concerns. Dysautonomia was only diagnosed in May of 2020 so I have no idea of the 5 year solar cycles. I’m 75 and been off hormone replacement for some years. The diazepam is not for anxiety but because of insomnia issues associated with autonomic dysfunction. Since I didn’t have this in the solar cycle off time, I can’t answer this. The only thing I can do is refer you to Dysautonomia International or some of the other sites dealing with this condition. Long Covid is actually a type of dysautonomia like other post viral conditions ie type 1 diabetes. And we all have heard about non space weather changes, storms, rain etc. increasing symptoms in arthritic and autoimmune conditions. All I can tell you is at this time since my attention was brought to space weather phenomena my symptoms increase a whole lot. See the references David Silver mentioned. 

4 hours ago, BlackTara said:

To try and address these concerns. Dysautonomia was only diagnosed in May of 2020 so I have no idea of the 5 year solar cycles.

Solar cycles are periods of active and inactivity of the Sun. Every 5 years the Sun displays sunspots, flares, CMEs and the like. 11 years total, 5.5 on 5.5 off What Is the Solar Cycle? | NASA Space Place – NASA Science for Kids

During inactive periods (also 5 years) the Sun can be spotless for 200+ days without a single sunspot, flare, disturbance etc. 

If your symptoms (regardless of diagnosis) are lifelong, are in 5 year cycles, then perhaps they are related to the Sun activity. If they are consistent, then probably not related to the Sun, since the Sun has 5 year on/off activity. 

I’m 75 and been off hormone replacement for some years. The diazepam is not for anxiety but because of insomnia issues associated with autonomic dysfunction.

I understand you have autonomic function issues. My observation is that it is not EXTERNAL because your neurons/body has mechanisms which prevent EXTERNAL influence like Sun activity. If your Myelin is degraded, then perhaps you are getting disrupted by nearby electronics?? Being 75 it is not uncommon for autonomic issues to arise, especially with the heart and brain. This is why I asked if your Myelin are degraded. 

Since I didn’t have this in the solar cycle off time, I can’t answer this.

What about 5 years before that? Being 75, you have had 10+ solar cycles to observe many 5 year solar cycles. I understand you can develop conditions with age/experiences, however this solar cycle's impact isn't different than 10 years ago...

The only thing I can do is refer you to Dysautonomia International or some of the other sites dealing with this condition. Long Covid is actually a type of dysautonomia like other post viral conditions ie type 1 diabetes. And we all have heard about non space weather changes, storms, rain etc. increasing symptoms in arthritic and autoimmune conditions. All I can tell you is at this time since my attention was brought to space weather phenomena my symptoms increase a whole lot. See the references David Silver mentioned. 

I understand what you are saying, I don't agree that the Sun is a cause simply because you notice an increase during the Sun's activity. An owl could fly by, and could be claimed to be the cause. Augury was a method of diagnosis in Roman times.

Like David, I urge you to be more critical of solar activity impacting people in this manner. There are many persistent myths which are correlative, but not causative, and generally with solar phenomena there are many systems which shield these impacts from human experience. The full moon does not change human behavior for example. More likely is your local influences like age, environment, past experiences, and diet are causes, rather than astronomical events millions of kilometers away. We are jellyfish under a thick ocean of atmosphere, magnetic shielding, clouds, buildings, blankets, clothes, skin, fatty lipid coverings around our nerves, before events from space impact to our autonomic systems. 

Here is a handy reference point:

The further away the phenomena, the less impact on a local system. 

Edited by Archmonoth

Alright folks, this isn't the place to deep dive in wether or not space weather affects humans or not. It is a topic that will always have divided opinions and will be impossible to agree on. People are free to believe whatever they want but I just want to issue a word of caution, be critical on what you see and read on places like YouTube. Do your own research and use common sense. If you are experiencing serious medical issues (it is irrelevant if they are space weather related or not) do consider consulting a doctor, not YouTube.

Please discuss the M1.6 solar flare, the coronal mass ejection that it launched and of course the fantastic geomagnetic storm we had. If that's too much to ask this topic will be locked. Cheers folks.

• Like 4